Sergeant Bob’s Safety Tip of the MonthVisit the Senior Safety Tips website
Sergeant Bob’s Annual School Bus Back-To-School Refresher
Starting in September, excited children will board and exit school busses close to traffic. Remember, when overhead flashing lights are activated:
- Drivers must stop in BOTH directions - even on a multi-lane road, unless a permanent median exists.
- Tap your brake lights - it may alert another inattentive driver.
- Stop AT the school bus when approaching from the front.
- Stop 20 METRES BEHIND the bus when approaching from the rear.
- Anticipate children crossing the road after they’ve exited the bus.
- Remain stopped until overhead flashers are turned off.
- Be patient. Any delay is minor compared to a school bus related police stop, or meeting the parents following a collision with their child.
To read more Sergeant Bob school bus reminders, click here.
Retired Police Sergeant Bob Paterson works closely with The McLennan Group to develop and share practical, economical safety tips for Canadians 50-plus. To read and print out all tips and view Sergeant Bob’s appearance schedule, visit Senior Safety Tips online.