Sergeant Bob’s Safety Tip of the MonthVisit the Senior Safety Tips website
WARNING: Vehicle / Animal Collisions Are More Frequent October Through December
Collisions with wild animals peak during the fall and early winter, due to the annual rutting season that has deer moving irrationally. Although the collisions are often unavoidable, these steps can increase reaction time:
- Don’t speed, especially in low light conditions.
- Change your windshield wipers NOW, and always carry washer fluid.
- Keep your complete lighting package and defroster in top condition.
- Stop tailgating; it needlessly surrenders sightlines and reaction time.
- See an animal? There’s more: deer and escaped cows move in groups.
- As always, never drive impaired... by anything!
Note: While they are popular, no definitive academic evidence suggests vehicle mounted deer whistles are effective. It’s your call.
Retired Police Sergeant Bob Paterson works closely with The McLennan Group to develop and share practical, economical safety tips for Canadians 50-plus. To read and print out all tips and view Sergeant Bob’s appearance schedule, visit Senior Safety Tips online.
Who is The McLennan Group?
The McLennan Group Insurance Inc. is a 100% Canadian owned, nationally licensed insurance brokerage specializing in the design and distribution of innovative all-lines insurance solutions and services for leading associations, affinity groups and Canadians 50-plus.
Along with our life and health division, The McLennan Group Life Insurance Inc., we have been CARP’s recommended and trusted provider since 1993.
To offer the 13 Insurance Programs for CARP Members, we work with a number of leading Canadian insurance providers.