Travel Insurance for CARP Members
Frequent travellers, occasional travellers and especially snowbirds... choosing the right travel health insurance protection is one of the most important buying decisions you will ever make. Outside of Canada, coverage from your provincial health plan is very limited. With an extended hospital stay, that could be financially crippling. CARP members: we’ve got you covered.
- Trusted Advice: Our licensed brokers are qualified to assist with your medical declaration and offer coverage advice based on your health and travel plans.
- CARP Member Benefits*: An extra 5% discount, up to $1,000 in trip cancellation coverage with annual plans, and coverage for two children age 15 or younger who are travelling with parents / grandparents who are age 60 or older and insured with an annual plan.
- We offer single trip daily plans and multi-trip annual plans with multiple coverage, discount and deductible options. Click “Rates” and “Policy” for complete details.
- Easy qualification with no medical exam upon application.
- Medical concierge services provided by StandbyMD.
- Six health categories and personal underwriting available.
- Top-up coverage and extensions are available.
- No fees to change your travel dates prior to departure.
- 24-hour assistance, plus a $10 million Cdn. policy limit.
Remember, when you call the Travel Insurance for CARP Members toll-free telephone number, that you’re speaking with a licensed insurance broker. And your protection is our priority.
Why Choose Travel Insurance for CARP Members?
When you call the Travel Insurance for CARP Members toll-free telephone number, you are speaking with Licensed Insurance Brokers. Licensed brokers are qualified to provide advice on the insurance product that is best suited for you.
The licensed brokers at Travel Insurance for CARP Members understand the issues facing Canadians 50-plus today, and are committed to the same beliefs as CARP. They have been actively trained with the knowledge and appreciation for what the CARP organization stands for.
Our Travel Insurance for CARP Members program partner has had over 18 years of travel insurance experience as a brokerage. Combined, their key personnel have well over 60 years of travel insurance experience. Because their primary customers are Snowbirds, they understand what coverage is typically needed for a snowbird traveller. They may also recommend that you verify information with your doctor if you seem unsure of your conditions.
Our Travel Insurance for CARP Members brokers want you to be properly insured. They will work with you to help ensure that you understand all medical questions.
Individual Medical Insurance Customized For You
If appropriate, your Travel Insurance for CARP Members broker will suggest an individual medically underwritten policy for you. An individual medical underwriting policy is designed to individually assess your medical conditions; you are not being placed into pre-designated categories like other standard applications. It allows for tailoring the policy based on your own specific health situation. Further, the individual medical underwriting policy is designed to cover your pre-existing conditions without a stability period.
How you can get the most of your travel insurance:
- Understand your medical conditions and treatment including medication.
- Be willing to check with your doctor if you are not sure what your medical records state.
- Be open and honest with your insurance broker about your conditions.
- Review your insurance policy prior to departure, especially if your condition has changed since the time of purchase.
- Consult your Travel Insurance for CARP Members broker for any questions you may have.
Out of Country Emergency Health Services
In Canada, provincial health insurance plans look after most hospital and medical expenses, and you rarely see a bill. But when travelling outside of Canada or even your home province, coverage under your provincial health plan is limited, and only a fraction of these expenses may be covered.
To find out what your province may or may not pay for, we’ve provided links for all provincial and territorial health insurance plan websites.
For full details on your province’s out-of-country services, plus “physical presence” details for snowbirds, Click Here.
Make an Informed Decision
As CARP’s recommended insurance provider, we have a responsibility to help you make an informed buying decision. No matter which insurance product you require, or provider you choose, our best advice is to educate yourself before you buy. That’s why we offer information that will help you review programs “apples-to-apples”.
You can’t afford to buy travel insurance on price alone
Outside Canada, coverage provided by provincial health plans for hospital and medical expenses is limited. Without additional insurance, costs incurred from a medical emergency can be financially devastating.
Travel insurance is designed to pay for unexpected costs that arise while you’re away, such as hospital / medical, trip cancellation and lost baggage. But be aware that not all plans provide all coverage, and you get what you pay for.
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Don’t be fooled by low price. Look at benefits, coverage levels and most importantly, the policy maximums. More important, don’t wait to the last minute to purchase travel insurance. Give yourself time to compare plans.
KNOW WHAT YOU’RE BUYING - Be sure it meets your needs:
- (1) PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS: What are the restrictions and limitations?
- (2) FULL LENGTH OF TRIP: Are you covered for the duration of the trip?
- (3) CHANGE OF PLANS: Can coverage be extended after you’ve departed?
- (4) RETURN TRIP HOME: Is it paid for in the event of an emergency?
- (5) ASSISTANCE SERVICES: What is offered, and how are services accessed?
Remember, most claim denials result from customers not understanding what they have purchased, not knowing their own obligations in an emergency, or simply not reading their policy to learn what is and isn’t covered. If in doubt, ask questions BEFORE you buy.
And our best advice is to answer all application questions honestly. Otherwise the policy may be voided. If you’re unsure of what a question means, get advice from a doctor or licensed broker.
GREAT RESOURCE: Download the Consumer Guide on the Travel Health Insurance Association’s website: www.thiaonline.com
A FINAL WORD: The McLennan Group urges you to be certain the program selected is right for your needs. Always read the fine print and ask questions before you buy, because insurance without proper coverage is like having no insurance at all. Remember, your protection is our priority.
Welcome visitors who are not yet members of CARP
A national, non-profit organization, “CARP advocates for better health care and financial security for Canadians as we age and gives members access to great benefits and discounts”. Click the CARP logo at the top of this page to learn more. As CARP’s trusted provider, The McLennan Group Life Insurance Inc. is a 100% Canadian owned, nationally licensed brokerage. And we’re 50-plus insurance specialists. So even if you’re not a member of CARP, call us and we’ll work to offer a coverage solution for your needs.
Underwritten by The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company and First North American Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Manulife, PO Box 670, Stn. Waterloo, Waterloo, ON N2J 4B8.
*Certain terms, conditions, limitations, and exclusions apply, see policy for details.
Manulife and the Block Design are trademarks of The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company and are used by it, and by its affiliates under licence. Product may not be available in all provinces. Life and Health Plans offered by The McLennan Group Life Insurance Inc. Auto & Home Program offered by The McLennan Group Insurance Inc.