Innovative Insurance Solutions

Travel Insurance

Snowbird and 50-Plus Traveller Tips

If you choose to travel during the pandemic, please do your due diligence to help protect yourself. Because the Government of Canada’s Level 3 Travel Advisory is not a ban, we know that some will travel abroad. If you plan to travel out-of-country, read the government advisories so you know the risks. IE: even with coverage for COVID-19 related expenses, it could be difficult to access vital medical services outside of Canada during the pandemic.

Click Here to read the Government of Canada’s COVID-19 Travel Advisories and advice.

Travel, home and auto insurance should never be considered as “get it and forget it” products. This is especially true for snowbirds. Along with changing protection needs, there could be limitations in place, or conditions that must be adhered to for coverage to be valid.

Take time to confirm your insurance requirements, the terms and conditions of your policies, and your responsibilities. It can be a costly mistake to assume you’re covered. If you have questions, check with your insurance provider before you leave for vacation!



  • Take your passport, travel documents, provincial health card, prescriptions for medications and eyeglasses, and your insurance policies.
  • Make photocopies of your passports, credit cards and other important documents, leaving one copy with family or a reliable friend, and taking one copy with you in case any key document / card is lost or stolen.
  • If possible, use a special “back up” credit card with a lower than normal credit limit for booking your transportation and accommodations. If this card is used illegally, the exposure will be minimal and you won’t be stranded away from home without funds.
  • Make sure you have proof of Canadian residency. For example, carry a utility or cable bill with your current address with you when you enter the United States. It shows the IRS that, “you maintain a tax home in a foreign country during the year, and you have a closer connection to that country than to the United States.”


  • Resident aliens can be taxed on worldwide income by the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS).If you have questions, ask your accountant whether you are considered a non-resident alien or resident alien.
  • Click Here to learn more on the Internal Revenue Service website.